Berkeley Nucleonics Consulting Division specializes in providing cost effective and innovative technical support for radiological characterization and remediation; License Termination Plans; Final Status Survey (FSS) planning, design and implementation using the Multi-Agency Radiation Survey & Site Investigation Manual (MARSSIM) guidance.
We are an industry leader in the engineering and application of specialty surface decontamination technologies and processes for various commercial, industrial and nuclear decommissioning applications. Our highly qualified and experienced staff of regulatory and nuclear waste specialists are joined by our team of Health physicists (CHPs) and radiological engineers and scientists to provide you with the highest quality and most certified compliant services.
- Our personnel have years of extensive project experience in decommissioning to the Multi-Agency MARSSIMs criteria for all Federal and State agencies and private sector clients. Our high quality and comprehensive MARSSIMS Final Status Survey (FSS) reports have been accepted and published by the EPA and DOE.
- Our services personnel are fully licensed by the NRC as a Type A BroadScope licensee to facilitate the possession, use, transport, packaging, and waste brokering of all types of radioactive materials, including NORM. Since 2000, our network of consultants have processed and packaged over 10,000 sources of radioactive material for disposal and/or re-use in both the private and governmental sectors.
- We can provide the most comprehensive and complete services to satisfy multiple technical needs from all business sectors, from eliminating unwanted radioactive material, to instituting complex decommissioning management programs for government agencies.
- We use state-of-the-art detection and analytical equipment for the detection and characterization of radioactive contamination including:
- Floor monitors
- High sensitivity
- SPA-3 Na-I scintillation detectors
- Radon detectors
- Canberra ISOCs system
- Liquid scintillation counter
- HPGe spectroscopy systems
- Volume counters
- Alpha analyzers
- We provide a comprehensive support package for decontamination and waste disposal activities that include:
- Development of Work Plans and Site Specific Health and Safety Plans (SSHASP)
- Site investigation and profiling
- MARSIMMS compliant radiation surveys
- Site restoration
- Waste characterization
- Source term calculations
- Waste profile preparation
- Waste repackaging
- Waste brokering
- MARSSIMS FSS Reports
- We use a complete line of innovative surface decontamination and waste packaging technologies that have been proven successful in the nuclear industry since 1980. Our technology has successfully been used for critical work scopes in the nuclear weapons complex, commercial nuclear utilities, and various EPA, DOE, and DOD sites where strict controls are a prerequisite.
- We utilize decontamination equipment that offers a proven, dust-free process with built-in engineering controls that protect both the worker and the surrounding environment during the surface cleaning process. The technology offers a safe and environmentally friendly methodology that removes, collects and packages the waste in a single-step manner.
Sealed Source Disposal Project
One customer had accumulated approx. 2500 sources of radioactive material over a period covering several decades. Our consulting personnel were brought in to prepare MARSSIMs compliant sampling and analysis plans, quality assurance project plans, hazardous waste determinations and waste profiling, source term calculations, waste tracking system database management, as well as waste packaging and shipping documentation. The project required diligent management and attention to properly characterize all of the source terms and proper packaging of the material. On completion, all radioactive sources were packaged, transported, and disposed of, and a MARSSIMs compliant Final Status Survey (FSS) was performed and accepted by the State of Connecticut.
U.S. EPA Remediation Project - Chino Airport - San Bernadino, CA
The EPA declared the aircraft Hangars located at Building 676 as a Super Fund site due to its being used for the storage of approximately 5000 aircraft gauges containing Radium-226 (Ra-226). Radioactive contamination of the floor and wall areas was present and the EPA directed project required MARSSIMs compliant remediation of the facility. Our consulting group developed sampling and analysis plans and quality assurance project plans and then performed the hazardous waste determinations and profiling, source term calculations, area radiological profiling, MARSSIMs classification and identification of survey units, developed DCGL's, estimated the standard deviation of measurements in the survey units, performed the Final Status Survey (FSS), and then concluded the project by decontaminating the 12,000 ft2 facility and performing the waste repackaging in preparation for disposal. Our final MARSSIMS report was praised by the U.S. EPA as one of the finest and most comprehensive they had seen.
Dept. Of Energy (DOE) Idaho National Laboratory - Health Physics Instrument Laboratory
Our consulting group worked on the removal, packaging and transport of numerous mid to high level radioactive sealed sources that were previously used in calibration activities. Many of these were located in 20 ft. wells that required specially engineered equipment. Our consulting team provided work & survey plans, procedures, source term profiling, radiological control activities, Type B waste containment packaging, transport, and disposal activities to complete the project ahead of schedule and well below anticipated budget. Several of our consulting team were specially recognized by the Idaho DOE Office for the professionalism and efficiency exhibited in the performance of this project.
Berkeley Nucleonics Consulting Services division is fully licensed, under a Type A Broadscope license awarded by the USNRC, to provide services such as the transfer, transport, packaging, repackaging, and brokering of radioactive sealed sources for the purpose of disposal. Many of these sources are used in equipment and processes such as:
- Portable Nuclear Density/Moisture gauges
- Industrial Nuclear Process gauges (level, density, uniformity, etc)
- Gas Chromatographs
- Medical isotopes (brachytherapy seeds)
- Medical Waste
- Orphan sources
To ease the headache of disposal preparation, we can provide:
- On-site packagin/repackaging
- On-site pickup
- Completion of DOT shipping and "transfer of custody" forms
- On-site leak testing (required prior to transport)
- Decontamination (if required) & decommissioning support
- Transport Index (TI) Radiation Surveys
Why go through the hassle, frustration, and time consuming preparations involved in getting your radioactive sources ready for disposal? Let our professional staff of experts do the work for you efficiently and effectively!