Berkeley Nucelonics relies on a network of our 150 health physicists nationwide, the most experienced and knowledgable personnel in the business. Their knowledge is offered to our clients to help with all levels of radiation safety concerns. We employ regional consultants with hands-on experience in organizations such as the US DOE, DOD, NASA, Commercial Nuclear Facilities, US NRC, Agreement State Bureau of Health Departments and Instrument Manufacturers.
We understand the regulations and compliance issues associated with the development and implementation of a successful radiation safety program. Our professionals are dedicated to providing a safe working environment by helping you optimize your program to ensure compliance and implementation.
Area/Facility Radiation Surveys
An important part of a successful safety program is identifying doseage areas. Using highly sensitive and accurate instruments we provide radiological survey mapping of storage facilities, work areas, whole facilities, public access areas and all other necessary or requested monitored areas.
Our technicians are trained to assist you by identifying and providing recommendations for peronnel distribution and storage/facility design to minimize radiation dose to employees, the public, and the environment.
Emergency Response Support Services
Although a good radiation safety program is designed to avoid emergency situations, not all emergencies can be avoided. This is why it's comforting to know that Berkeley Nucleonics has experts available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week to assist with emergency situations. Our staff has years of combined experience in providing comprehensive emergency response support services for all types of emergencies and incidents involving radioactive material, including:
- Spills of radioactive materials
- Fire or explosion
- Theft or loss of radioactive material
- Damaged nuclear gauges
- Damaged irradiators
- Highway transport accidents
- Receipt and delivery incidents
- Uncontrolled/unrestricted access to radioactive material
- Radiation dose(s) in excess of Federal or State limits
Take comfort in knowing that our consulting network is ready to assist you with all types of radiological emergency situations to save you further impact and reduce the radiological risk to you, to workers, to the public, and to the environment.
After successful mitigation, we provide a complete report with lessons learned to help reduce the likelihood of another accident as well as working with you to effectively communicate the resolution to the applicable licensing department.
Leak test analysis is required regularly to identify leaking sources as early as possible. We provide leak testing services for all forms of radioactive sealed sources and we comply with the U.S. NRC criteria for detection limits of 0.005 micro curies. As part of this service, we provide a detailed report for each leak test including actual reading, backgrounds and all other associated information necessary for compliance of leak test reporting.
For fixed nuclear devices, we can assist in the performance of leak testing activities to alleviate licensing and safety regulations. In addition to the actual performance of swipe form leak testing, we can perform instrumental surveying of the devices for confirmation of shutter mechanisms.
Another area of expertise is with NRC licensing. We assist large and small companies in preparing and writing their initial or renewal Radioactive Materials License application to meet the U.S. Nuclear Regulatory Commission (NRC) and Agreement State requirements. We can also assist in the preparation and submittal of amendments to your license conditions.
We provide low cost comprehensive technical and administrative support that eliminates the stress and time it takes a client to prepare their license application. An effective license application allows the licensee to effectively implement their license conditions with ease.
Our low cost licensing support includes:
- Preparation and submittal of Emergency and Operating Procedures required for license submittal and approval.
- 100% correspondence with licensing agencies on your behalf - to save you countless hours.
- Assistance in obtaining:
- Required training (Radiation Safety Officer (RSO) and Authorized User/Rad Worker).
- Required radiation survey meter and calibration service provider.
- Required dosimetry and processing services.
- Required NRC Form 3 "Notice to Workers", Postings, labels, etc.
- Determination of proper classification and associated licensing fees.
- Assistance in design, control, and/or location of radioactive materials storage areas.
- Assistance in performing & documenting annual public and occupational worker dose calculations, occupancy factors, etc.
Radiation Protection Program Assessments
The most critical part of a successful Radiation Safety Program is implementation and performance. This requires constant tracking and assessment of critical parts of the program. All licensees are required to perform annual assessments of their Radiation Protection Programs as required by Federal regulations in Title 10 Part 20.1102 and 2102. Our professionals can assist in quickly identifying problems as well as make suggestions to improve efficiency of the program and work load.
Now, with the help of Berkeley Nucleonics you can easily maintain a safe, compliant and efficient radiation safety program!
Let us help you eliminate the hassle and extensive time required to perform a quality audit!
Our professionals are knowledgable and experienced in working with radiation safety programs for use with many different forms of radioactive sources. Some of which include:
- Portable Nuclear Gauges (Nuclear Densitometers)
- Fixed Nuclear Gauge
- Well Logging, Tracer and Field Flood study licensees
- Commercial Radio-Pharmacy
- Irradiation Facilities
- Self-shielded Irradiators
- Special Nuclear Material
Let our team of professionals provide you with an assessment of your Radiation Protection Program to help you identify and mitigate all regulatory non-compliances and Radiation Protection Program weaknesses. Our assessments include a 28 item inspection consisting of:
- Detailed analysis of compliance to your radioactive materials license conditions
- On-site inspections of required records, postings, and facilities
- Independent area radiation surveys to ensure compliance to annual radiation exposure limits
- One-on-one interviews with authorized users to ensure adequate knowledge of radiation safety principles and regulatory requirements
- Review of Emergency and Operational Procedures for compliance
- Review of occupational dose records & reporting forms